The legislature in OH is scheduled to vote on HB 176 when they return from vacation, most likely within the next week. It adds sexual orientation and gender identity to the ohio non-discrimination act.
For folks in ohio, equality ohio has a page for contacting your reps at
The summary of the bill:
Prohibits discriminatory practices on the basis of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” under many of the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) Law's existing prohibitions against various unlawful discriminatory practices.
· Provides that the Ohio Civil Rights Commission must exercise certain of its existing powers and duties also with respect to discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
· Provides that nothing in the OCRC Law's provisions that govern Commission hearings on alleged unlawful discriminatory practices may be construed to authorize or require any person to observe the proportion that persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity or persons of any of current law's covered characteristics bear to the total population or in accordance with any criterion other than the individual qualifications of an applicant for employment or membership.
· Adds sexual orientation and gender identity to the list of covered characteristics that are specified in various provisions of current law that prohibit persons or entities from discriminating on the basis of most of the covered characteristics.
· Adds sexual orientation and gender identity to the list of covered characteristics that are specified in various provisions of current law that require certain functions or duties to be performed without discrimination, require certain documents to include statements pertaining to nondiscrimination, or pertain to discrimination on the basis of most of the covered characteristics.
Of course, can't have an equality bill without a hate response. Brought to you by Mr. Wildmon
hmm. the funny thing about bullshit like this, it comes from the poor powerless economically deprived (apparently born this way) christians – who would scream if they were deprived of their special status under the non-descrimination act. the twisted “logic” i've seen quite a bit- can't give those queers any rights – that will deny my inherent right to discriminate against and bully them. In another section of mr. wildmon's blathering, he claims that the state will be forced to enact quota's for hiring lgbt folks, but why let truth get in the way of a good scary lie.
* Civil Rights laws in Ohio would be seriously weakened. Civil rights laws were enacted to provide needed protection for classes that truly have experienced unjust discrimination. In order to qualify as a protected class under civil rights law, our courts have consistently held that a class must meet three criteria. They (1) must exhibit an immutable, non-behavior-based characteristic such as race or skin color; (2) they must have experienced a history of discrimination resulting in class-wide economic deprivation; and (3) they must be politically powerless. The courts have insisted that all three criteria apply in order to prevent extension of these protections to special interest groups and to insure the effectiveness of such protections for the truly deserving. “Sexual orientation” and “gender identity,” the classes that H.B. 176 would add, do not meet any of these criteria and their inclusion would undermine and trivialize Ohio Civil Rights law.